I'm still trying to get this whole time management thing down to a science. I love to eat, I love to cook, but we all know that when you add work and life into the mix, you can easily find yourself in somebody's drive thru after a long day at the office. I prefer home cooked meals so planning is the key. Even though the idea of going to a crowded grocery store is not how I'd like to spend my Saturday or Sunday afternoon, it just has to be done. I like to get ideas from hubby the week before to know what I'm shopping for before hand. I've learned to cook a meal like this on a Sunday that way I don't have to cook Monday or Tuesday! Check out a yummy time saving recipe that I made HERE. The slow cooker is my best friend when it comes to easy meals. Just stick everything in overnight and Voila! Lunch and dinner for the following day. This week we had Quinoa Chicken Chili. My husband loves quinoa. We actually eat it quite often as a substitute for rice. It's a "superfood" that is naturally gluten-free and contains iron, B-vitamins, magnesium, fiber, potassium, calcium, and vitamin E. Considered a complete protein. We try to keep it healthy, lol.
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-once can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
- 2 (16-ounce) cans black beans
- 2 1/2-3 cups chicken broth
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Small white onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup corn
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Shredded cheese, hot sauce, green onions, etc., for serving
1. Place the quinoa, tomatoes, black beans and chicken broth in the slow cooker.
2. Combine the onion, bell pepper, jalapenos, oil, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder and salt in a medium bowl. Cook in the microwave for 5 mins, stirring two or three times, until the veggies become soft. Add to the slow cooker.
3. Place chicken into the mixture and cook on low for 5-8 hours, until the chicken and quinoa are cooked through. Remove the chicken and shred or chop into small pieces, then return to the slow cooker. Stir the corn and cilantro. Cover and cook for 10 more minutes.
4. Serve in bowls. Top with shredded cheese or other desired toppings.
Dinner and lunch for at least a few days! Time saved. Problem solved. Perfect!